The Young Artists Conference is usually at the end of May or the beginning of June. Please visit the site regularly for updates.
Throughout the Year
- Collect artwork from students for consideration. Some schools have a special spot for their Young Artists portfolio, and they store potential pieces in it until their school’s adjudication.
End of February (Completed by Feb. 28)*
- Feb. 27: Information session for art contacts. We will learn about the selection process, mounting artwork to send to the district show, and look at how to create a culture of sharing and learning among the young, eager artists in our district.
Where? South Sa-Hali Elementary (1585 Summit Dr)
When? 3:15- 4:15
** please note, parking is in the lower parking lot
- Student work and artist statements should be submitted to the school’s Young Artists’ contact by Feb. 28.
*it is recommended that you do not extend this deadline; you need ample time to select participating students, get their Artist’s Statements written, and hand in registration material to the Henry Grube Centre.
Weeks of February 25 – March 8
- Collect, adjudicate, and mount artwork 1 week before mail goes to the HGEC
- 5 days before mail: all artwork collected
- 4 days before mail: adjudicate and select using staff committee (see adjudication tips); select your young artists, based on your school’s quota, and notify them that they have been chosen
- 3 days before mail: mount artwork and submit artist statements to the Artist Statement Google Doc
- 2 days before mail: put artwork into portfolio and issue parent information letters and registration forms to the selected students
- 1 day before: CELEBRATE! You’re ready!
- March 8 (deadline): Artwork is due at the HGEC, and artist statements must be in the Artist Statement Google Doc
- Students submit their permission slips and payment to their school’s Young Artist Contact; each student will receive supplies and a conference t-shirt.(Payment must be made payable to their schools – please do not send cheques from parents of participating students to the Fine Arts Coordinator’s office)
March 29 (deadline): the following must be sent to the Fine Arts Coordinator at the Henry Grube Education Centre:
- Online student registration form completed for each participant
- A single school cheque made payable to School District 73 for $25 per student registered – this covers the registration fee and a 2018 Young Artists t-shirt
- A signed copy of low risk field trip form for each participant
End of April/Early May (2019 date: April 30)
- Opening reception
- The Old Courthouse Gallery
End of April/Early May (2019 dates: April 30 – May 5)
- Young Artists Exhibit
- The Old Courthouse Gallery
End of April/Early May (2019 date: May 1)
- Young Artists Conference at TRU
- all-day event; see registration form for detail
- students meet in the foyer of Old Main Building between 8:15 and 8:30
May or June (2019 date: June 17)
- Students whose work has been chosen for display at the School Board Office present their work to the School Board
- 7 PM, School Board Office